What Differentiates Academic Writing
The formal writing often referred to as academic writing, is marked by the distinguishing characteristics of its own. To cite an example, academic writing tends to be formal as well as impersonal. It deliberately avoids conversational or casual languages, which are again characterized by an informal vocabulary in addition to contractions.
By virtue of its formal nature, it remains focused on the objective and opts for an informal tone. It shuns directly referring to feelings and people and instead lays the emphasis on facts, objects and ideas.
Did not is more formal than didn’t
Very large is a more formal version than huge
This work will enquire whether it’s far more objective than what I wanted to prove to you…
Obstacles in Academic Writing
Being able to write in an objective and a formal tone does not necessarily mean that you are a perfect fit for good academic writing. The difficulty in adhering to a formal style is mainly due to three reasons and following are the efficient ways to avoid them:
- One needs to dole out the technical details. This entails a large vocabulary for objects and concepts related to the field you are studying about, like – physics, linguistics, or any accounting topic. And to make things even more complex, there is also a considerable vocabulary for specialized areas.
- You should note that disciplines differ not only in vocabulary but also in the style of presentation. To cite an example, when you are writing for a topic in the area of humanities, longer paragraphs are the norms, and the structure of the argument is exemplified through relevant sentences. In another case, in a Science project, where you may expect paragraphs that are shorter and dense with facts. Some disciplines also call for more subjectivity in the treatment whilst others explicitly forbid the use of personal pronouns.
- The structure is also a factor of importance. Some sorts of academic writing have a structure that tags along nicely irrespective of the discipline. For example, essay writing depends on your writing capabilities; whereas, assignments like reports and case studies have norms which may vary according to the disciplines.
What Can You Do to Enhance Your Academic Writing Skills?
There is no dearth of material and resources on academic writing available online that lets you expand your academic writing abilities. You need to imbibe the structure and style of assignment writing on the areas of your academics on your own. Some resources that you may turn to are:
- Ask your instructor for help.
- Discuss freely with your seniors or classmates.
- Study samples of write-ups by other students of your subject.
- Make a thorough analysis of academic articles published in the prestigious and major journals in your field.
In case you still require assistance with writing your essays, approach a professional writer and seek help. They have strongholds in custom essay writing on numerous grounds. So taking help from them can be a better option for you.