How to Write a Mighty Research Paper Introduction?
What lies in a research paper introduction? Well, it’s not a question to be answered in one word or two. This blog happens to explain the significance of an introduction in your paper and how to write it – approach, style, delimitations, and some influential writing tips.
Consider the introduction as a roadmap to your paper!
As a research paper abstract serves the purpose of a book cover, introduction acts as the opening paragraph. Readers’ choice of reading the whole draft largely depends on a well-written prolog. If to be said precisely, the introductory passages portray an overview of your dissertation. It provides answer to a few very specific questions as mentioned underneath –
- Why is it important to explore this field of research?
- What to be expected out of this research paper?
- What has been the last research work conducted on this topic?
- How will this study pave new ways of comprehension?
An introduction is reported as “Good” only if it affords clear and transparent responses to these expectations. As experts says, the beginning marks the impression and there lies no second chance. If you fail to initiate in a powerful note, later it becomes challenging to lay a foundation for comprehending the central argument.
So, intelligence lies in developing a virtuous research paper outline prior to penning the introduction. Once the roadmap is set, concentrate on the opening passage – set the structure, approach and goal of writing this section.
How to write a research paper introduction?
The preface of your paper relies on three implicit phases that form its fundamental structure. Think of the shape as an inverted triangle that finally takes you to the main discussion through a smooth transition. Here are the stages inherent to the introduction –
- Establish the base of your study
The former section of your introduction is a little broader than the subsequent. Starting with a general overview, the aspect shrinks as you proceed further. This mode of writing is just alternate to a research paper conclusion. Things to be highlighted in the first few statements –
- State the magnitude and scope of your topic
- Put light on the significance of your research on it
- Describe its impact in some general commentary
- Depict an overview of your research on the matter
With the aforesaid approach, your subject-line has been established. The next responsibility is to find a crevice in the studies and analyses, conducted in the past.
- Recognize a research niche from the past
Identifying a cranny in the investigation, performed by ex-scholars, is one of the crucial steps in your research. You have to insert that set of information in the second stage of your introduction, just after founding the base of your topic. Here’s how to do it right –
- Reveal a slit in the existing assumption
- Counter to a persisting argument with evidence
- Constantly conduct a counteractive study
- Pick a research problem that best describes the scenario
Professionals and veterans believe, it is the key factor to engage most traffic. But, a lot of research is required to formulate a research niche, which sounds authentic in reading. The subsequent concern is to set your investigation within the research niche.
- Relate your topic to the research niche
Even the students, having a clear concept of how to write a research paper, fails to acknowledge this fragment of the introduction. You have to play tactfully with this phase in order to retain the hold of your paper. The perfect ways of execution are –
- First, express the intent and objective of your research
- Make a note of the key elements from your investigation
- Mention important outcomes and your point of views
- Provide an image of the paper structure that serves as a guide
What we call introduction comes to an end with this phase, but in reality, it signs off with a powerful thesis statement. A bit of experience is what you need to develop a suitable thesis.
- Build a strong and rational thesis statement
The chief concern of writing an introduction is to engage readers and convince them to read the full paper. Well, a powerful thesis takes you a bit closer towards the goal. The backbone of your paper must be logical, precise and relatable to the subject line. Every research paper example indicates that a thesis sounds best when it is a thought-provoking and proactive sentence, holding the essence of your topic.
There should neither be any embellishment or overstating on a particular topic nor an incoherent expression about a fact. Ensure the argument is strong, and you are confident about explaining it.
Besides knowing the structure and approach of a research paper introduction, having a piece of prior knowledge about the delimitations is equally important. Take a look at the successive segment if you are an amateur at paper writing.
What are the delimitations of your research?
Before deciding with the delimitations of your study, interpret the term itself. It refers to a set of traits that define the intangible limitations of your research and restrictions of your scope. In short, having an array of pre-defined delimitations means you have a static periphery set for the research.
Selecting a suitable research problem, from the list of many trending research paper topics, is considered the first limiting step. Even though the others are implicit, you have to reject them for one reason or the other. However, you must make a note of this in the third segment of the introduction, just before the research proposal.
As for example, a bounding statement reads like, “Although several factors can be considered to explain the educator-learner bond in an institution, this study will highlight the impact of e-learning.”
While constructing a delimiting sentence, put light on why the other related issues cannot be addressed, rather than documenting all the delineating factors.
Here are the causes to consider while setting delimitations of your paper –
- The objective and purpose of your study
- The area of research of you will refer to
- The research methodology and relatable techniques
- The variables and deliverables that you will analyze
- The number of days you have to devote for research
It is important to review each of these points to come up with a suitable reason behind rejecting the other relevant frameworks. Your exclusionary decision must subject to “uninteresting”, “not exactly relevant”, “too complicated”, “excessively time-consuming”, “indefinite objective”, and more like that.
With the aforesaid suggestions and guidelines, you must have gained enough idea of composing an impactful introduction. The expertise will come with the experience of writing a few research papers. But before that, have a quick glimpse of some more writing tips as mentioned below.
Drafting a potent introduction: Smart student’s clues
An introduction can never be effective if you miss out with these writing tips. If you check any example of introduction in a research paper, each of the listed points will be visible to you.
- The introduction must portray a narrative flow
- There must be a definite indication to your area of interest
- Provide a brief review of the apposite published works
- Mention why have you chosen this method of analysis
- Cite a case study to explain the significance of this research
- Open the introduction with a persuasive and absorbing story
- Include a strong anecdote and a sudden vivid quotation
- Pose a provocative question to engage readers
- Always sign off with a roadmap of the further paper
With these writing tips, you can easily compose an introduction worth of scoring the highest grades. Satiate the professors with everything they demand off in your paper. But sometimes, students cannot identify the initiation point of their introduction. Here’s just simple advice in regard to concern.
Quick Tip: Where to begin from?
On viewing a research paper outline example, you can find that the paper starts from a specific point of introduction. In every other draft, irrespective of the subject line, the starting point is mind-boggling and evidently, drives huge traffic. The idea is to initiate directly from your topic with a brief and balanced description of it. There shouldn’t be any reference to its history – avoid hyperbole about the past researches and study. Read sample research papers to grasp the idea of initiation.
If you are unable to decide the opening of your paper, seek assistance from the experts at PenMyPaper. With years of experience and plethora of knowledge, it provides efficient college and university assignment help for the students across the globe.