Definitely amongst one of the most difficult and time-consuming jobs in a college is preparing a research paper. But do you know what needs to be done before you even think of starting off with your favorite topic for research? You need to submit a research proposal.
What is a Research Proposal?
A research proposal is an introduction of the research that you would like to start doing for your final semester. A well-framed research proposal gives a very clear view of what the research is based on.
You proposal should talk in brief about the areas of the given subject that your research is going to cover. Your research proposal should also contain the scope of the research that you are proposing. Next, it should give a brief (but precise) outline about your research.
A good research proposal is of immense significance for you if you are applying for a research scholarship or are simply finishing the assignment given by your university. It will give an insight about your intellect to the management board that will judge and/or grade your research paper. Your research proposal should be a very good reflection of your knowledge and intentions for the research.
What all should be there in a Research Proposal?
Like a research paper, a research also does not have a hard and fast protocol about how should things be put down in the document. Nevertheless, there are certain elements that should be there for sure.
We have here a compiled list of elements that should be there in your research proposal, which should give you an outline of how a research proposal should be written and what all should be there in a research proposal.
Finding a suitable topic
One of the things that take most of the brainstorming at the start of a research proposal is to think of a good topic that should be interesting enough for you to work with and for the readers to read it.
How to decide a topic that is interesting? There are a few points that you can think about that will help you to choose a topic:
- Drop everything else and think about what aspect of that particular subject interests you the most? A topic you’re interested in will give you an edge on the content.
- Think about the relevance of your topic. Think about how a research on the said topic will be beneficial to anyone or anything.
- Think about the difficulty level of the research methodology. Keeping in mind the possible hurdles that you could face in the process of conducting the research is a wise thing when you’re choosing the topic.
Don’t you wish you could just find some research papers for sale? Don’t worry, choosing the topic was just the tip of the iceberg, though it’s tough. Once you’re on with the research proposal, you will need to keep a few other things in mind.
Tips for Writing the Proposal
There are a few tips or techniques that you can follow to make your research proposal look better. To understand how you can write a research proposal good enough, follow the pointers:
- Use simple language. Keep your description non-technical. Avoid the use of jargons. This will help your readers interpret your writing in a better way; hence, your research proposal will be a good one.
- Emphasize on the possibility of your research influencing (in a good way) disciplines other that your own. The panel that will give the final verdict on your proposal will generally comprise of individuals from different disciplines. So obviously, describing a multidisciplinary aspect of your research in your proposal will help your proposal get approved.
- Stress on the feasibility of your research in your research proposal. No matter how theoretically advanced or exciting your research might be, but if it is not practically viable, the chances of it getting approved will diminish, naturally.
- Keep it simple with the facts – do not try to justify the facts or figures to an explanation they are not indicating to. Quantify things as much as possible – the readers will be educated enough to contemplate the data.
Points to avoid
Writing a perfect research proposal is a difficult thing, as it is. And to write things with flawlessness becomes a subject of concern for the students. So let’s keep it short and look at the common trivial mistakes that you can skip while writing your research proposal:
- Although it is mentioned earlier, but sometimes students forget to mention citations in the write-up and mention the references directly in the bibliography.
- Being too descriptive or missing out on the whole point – these are two are poles apart; however, students very frequently make these mistakes.
- Students most of the times fail to deliver the core of a research proposal – being concise.
If you follow the given guidelines, you will be sure to land up with an excellent research proposal. But if you want to get your dissertation proposal done without any hassle, you can take help from any of the dissertation writing services that are available online.