How to Write a Personal Statement? Know Reliable Hacks
Writing a personal statement is one of the toughest parts of any application, as sometimes it takes forever to just figure out where to start. Often universities and potential employers ask you to write a personal statement where you need to explain your qualifications for a particular degree or a position. It is the best and the most trending way to emphasize your skills and objectives to a university or an employer.
A well-written personal statement also helps in securing your placement in a college or in a new job. It also assists you in gaining a competitive advantage over others. Here, we are going to discuss in detail about how to write a personal statement for grad school or for a college effectively.
Table of Content
- 1. Introduction
- 2. What is a Personal Statement?
- 3. Step-by-Step Guide on How to Write a Personal Statement
- 4. Conclusion
What is a Personal Statement?
The applicants often need to submit a short account of their achievements, goals, and interests while taking admission in a graduate school or any competitive program. This short essay is generally termed as a personal statement of an individual. These personal statements fall into two categories:
- The comprehensive or general personal statement
These types of personal statements are written for law or medical school application forms. It permits you with the utmost freedom to write whatever you want.
- Response to some specific questions
Contrary to the previous one, these statements are written for graduate or business school applications where they ask some specific questions and you should write in response to the question being specifically asked.
In both cases, an effective personal statement carefully balances the writer’s aspirations and goals. Unlike academic writings, these statements are not certainly driven by the thesis statement. It is not about narrating the resume of an applicant but it’s more about telling an amazing story on how one is drawn towards this particular career path or field of study.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Write a Personal Statement:
To know effectively how to write a personal statement for grad school, college, or university placement or any job in a company, we have managed to break down this challenging task into small steps as it will be easier to follow.
Similar to the traditional online essay writing, we have divided the personal statement into three distinct sections: introduction, body, and conclusion. This will help you in crafting a compelling personal statement. In addition to this, it also assists in including all the essential components that a personal statement must possess.
1. Initiate by Writing A Personal Introduction
It is better to start with a sentence that reflects your personality and shows your immense interest in a particular position or a program. Like, for a university application, you need to explore the particular part of your course program that goes hand-in-hand with your passions. While for a job application, you should address what fascinates you in that particular position of the company.
You can exceptionally use a strong single sentence to point out the most admissible aspects of your interests in that role or position.
2. Develop the Body by Stating Relevant Skills and Experiences
In the body of the personal statement, you should include some personal details about yourself that seem relevant in terms of skills and experiences. Moreover, it should also be related to the course or job that you are applying to. Here we have presented some relevant elements that you can include in the body paragraph.
- Your talent and skills : You can discuss some effective skills that you might have learnt while studying or during your career path. Basically, you should focus upon those skills that are considered specific in a job listing or that the college values.
- Your experiences and achievements : Consider talking about your years of experience in the industry, your educational offerings, degrees, certifications, and job responsibilities. Your past experiences and achievements never fail in impressing the employers or your university admission officers.
- Your eagerness and interests : Show your eagerness to earn credentials in particularly that field or learning specific skills. Also, express how you can prove to be an asset to a university or to the company.
- Your specific goals in the academic or professional field : Always choose a specific goal and discuss how this particular course or job can help you in fulfilling that goal and your future dreams.
A maximum of two to three sentences is sufficient for the body description of your personal statement related to the job, while for university/college personal statements; it can be extended to one or two paragraphs.
3. Craft A Strong Conclusion
In conclusion, you should clearly restate your motto behind applying for that particular position or program and what would you hope to achieve with this experience. It should cast a lasting impression upon the admission officer of university and employer so that they go through the rest of your academic credentials.
Here you can include these pieces of information:
- Mention about your professional goals : In the concluding part of your statement, you should consider mentioning both the long and short term goals that you hope to achieve in the next 5 to 10 years. Also, you can make specific reference to your goals and discuss how it can help in achieving those goals.
- Summarize the main points : Another effective strategy that can be used is to summarize the main points in your personal statement. Here you need to connect your skills and experiences to your future contributions in a sentence.
- Revisit to the introduction : Try to end your personal statement by linking back to the introduction like what interests you in a particular school or position.
While writing the conclusion of the job personal statement, you can use any one of the strategies discussed above. But you can include all these strategies in a paragraph while writing the conclusion of the university personal statement.
4. Proofread Your Personal Statement and Edit It
After writing your personal statement completes, all you need to do is proofread it cautiously and then edit where you find it necessary. Also, you need to re-read it and make improvements in the following areas, like,
- Language should be easily understandable
- Check the relevancy
- Reduce the use of passive voice
- No spelling and grammatical mistakes
- Ideas should be clearly implemented
You can also ask your colleague or friend to review your personal statement and provide genuine feedback on it so that you can improve those areas. Moreover, it is recommended to take more time in editing and proofreading your personal statement to make it better. Use your writing skills in doing so.
Hopefully, our guide on how to write a personal statement has helped you a lot in writing a compelling personal statement for your grad school, college, or your job. But still, if you are finding it difficult to express yourself in your personal statement, then don’t hesitate to take our assistance.
We are a team of qualified and experienced writers who are 24*7 ready to offer you professional personal statement writing services. They will also provide you some expert tips and tricks that you can use in the near future for writing an engaging and comprehensive personal statement.
So, don’t waste your valuable time any further! Visit our website PenMyPaper and talk to our experts online to get immediate personal statement writing assistance.