Top Online Education Trends of 2018
Over the past decade, online education has evolved by a great extent. Online education allows the candidates to participate in courses directly from their home, thereby bridging the geographical barriers in the educational sector. The increasing popularity of online education has encouraged several institutions to offer online courses to attract large number of candidates. I have underpinned some of the current trends in online education that should be helpful for both the students and the institutions.
1) Growth of Private Education Institutions: Initially, the private universities were relatively slower in adopting online education courses. However, following 2015 these private institutions pushed for online enrollment of students, while recognising its rising popularity. The number of enrollments in for-profit organisations took a dip, while the same for private non-profit ones have increased drastically.
2) Drop in Campus Population: The advent of online education courses plays a major role in reducing the number of students within the campus. The drop in the number of students in college campus is partly due to rise in online course enrolment and also partly due to the fall in the number of students pursuing higher education.
3) Rising Popularity in Localised Education Programs: A significant number of students who has enrolled for online education has chosen courses that are localised in nature. The students tend to prefer online courses that are offered by institutions which are in relatively close vicinity of their place of residency. This trend is further accompanied by the fact that the students tend to make occasional visits to their respective campuses to avail on-campus resources and also to meet with face to face with faculties.
4) Online Courses are becoming more Streamlined: The demand of online courses is going through a paradigm shift. The candidates are more interested in taking courses that are specialized in nature and can provide them with professional skills. The demand of online courses has largely increased that are specifically aligned to certain job roles. This indicates that the students want to take up courses that can help them land in good jobs.
5) Rising popularity of Distance Learning: Distance learning allows the students to pursue higher education while they are involved in full time jobs. Institutions like IGNOU allow the students to pursue educational courses without attending regular classes. IGNOU Solved Assignments offers academic assistance to IGNOU students by providing solved papers, that can help them with their semesters. Students are offered with subject oriented assistance from IGNOU BA solved assignments.
6) Popularity of Micro-credentials: Several online course providers are offering certificates and micro-credentials to the candidates in form of digital badges and documentations. This is mostly due to need for authenticating the course enrolment, thereby helping the candidates to leverage them with ease in job applications.
Online education courses have become highly popular within the past decade. More education institutions across the world should adopt it in order to cater to a much wider target market. Not only will it help the education sector to grow, but it will also be beneficial for the students.